Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Turkey Pie



So the other night I was getting  ready to make turkey pot pie. But when I got out the shortening, it had a funky smell. Then I looked at the date and it expired int 2007. Clearly, I don't use it very often. I already had the leftover turkey, a can of mixed vegies and the left over gravy simmering in a pot so I had to do something with it.

I thought about making homemade noodles to put this over but I really wanted to use my pretty pie plate. After all, I had to dig it out from my cupboard above the fridge. Where long forgotten pieces of cookware go.  Instead of using this pretty pie plate, I usually use my plain aluminum one. Why do we do that? Save things for good, but then never use them?

Well, no more, I am going to use this pie plate all the time. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, my turkey pie concoction.

As I said before, I took the leftover turkey that I had frozen from the week before, and the leftover gravy that I also froze. I put those in a pot along with some water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes and let that simmer for about 30 minutes. I then added a can of mixed vetables to  that and about 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken it.

I started to look through my pantry and freezer and thought, what about mashed potates that I had leftover and frozen. It would have been like a turkey shepards pie. But then I saw my box of stuffing that I had gotten for almost nothing.

So that is what I did, I poured the turkey mixture into my pie plate. Made the stuffing according to the directions and then spread that out on top.

I then heated the oven to 350 degrees and baked it for about 25 minutes. I made a salad to go with it and dinner was done. And can I just say YUM? It was so delicious, I will definately be making it again. I now have another recipe to make to use up leftover turkey and chicken!

This post links up to Tasty Tuesday and Ultimate Recipe Swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment