Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Favorite Frugal Book





I can honestly say that this book by Jonni McCoy is my favorite frugal book of all time. I have read many frugal books in the last 4 years. When I was pregnant with my third child, I decided I needed to be a little more proactive about our money and what I spent on things. This was the very first book that I bought, I was actually looking for another book and they were out of that one. So I bought this one instead and started to read it right away in the car. I finished it that night, it was that good. I was like a sponge, just taking in everything she had to say.

I have had many people tell me I am good with money, or that I am cheap, or even frugal. I just like to say that I am being proactive about my money. I try to do the best that I can in areas that are flexible to give us the extra that we need to be able to do the things that are important to us. This allows us to be able to buy the more expensive items that my daughter needs. Or the expensive formula my son needs. She talks alot about cooking from scratch, that everything you find in a store, at one point in time, was actually made at home. It was in this book that I first heard about making your own cleaners.

While there are many things that I buy already made and done for me. Due to my daughters food allergies, most mixes, premaid food and store bought baked goods are out of the question. I have learned over the years how to alter recipes to make them not only safe for my daughter, but I am able to make it frugal as well. And I believe that spark, that interest to try to not only eat healthy meals, but do them while spending the least amount of money has come from this book.

As someone that didn't use coupons, bargain shop, or even make a meal plan, this was like found gold. The ideas were so amazing to me. Not only does she give you a background of why she started her frugal journey, but she tells you how and gives you examples and recipes.

I have read and reread this book many times, so much so that it is almost falling apart. I have pages that are dog-eared, highlighted and have notes on them. I get it out every couple of months and reread it again. And I almost always find a tip that I missed or forgot to put to action. If there was one book that I would recommend, it would be this one.

This frugal book with all its tips and treasures, definately works for me.

This post links to Works for Me Wednesdays.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny - that is funny - I read this just last week! It was good, another good immersion practice in the frugal journey.

    ReplyDelete