Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Allergy Free Chicken and Mashed Potatoes


We love chicken in my house. Our favorite is on the grill that daddy makes, with a pop can, it is delicious. However, that takes devoted time to the grill. So our second favorite chicken meal, is roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. I will show you how I make it allergy free!




First, I take carrots, onions and garlic and make a kind of bed for the chicken in the bottom of my pan. I usually put my chicken in frozen, as I forget to thaw it. But a fresh bird works well too. I put it in breast side down, so the juices help to moisten the breast meat, which is usually drier. Then I salt and pepper the top. If you put it in frozen, as I usually do, I put it in around 1-1:30 in the afternoon on 300 degrees then let it cook until dinner time, around 5:30-6:00 p.m.. You are looking for the inside to be atleast 180 degrees. I always use my meat thermometer when cooking whole chickens, just to be safe. If you are putting the chicken in fresh and not frozen, it will only take about an hour or so on 350 degrees. And that is it, I add no water or anything and I get a ton of juices to make gravy.




Here is the chicken done. Some of the skin fell off, that is why it is not that appealing! But this is so juicy, the meat falls off the bone, which upsets my younger two girls, who like to eat the legs! Once it is done, I take it out of the roasting pan and place on a plate to cool a little.

I didn't take a photo but to make the allergy free gravy I first make a rue, of floor and butter. In our case the only cooking butter I can use to flavor things is the Smart Balance made with flax seed oil. It is vegan, so it is safe for my daughter. Once the butter melts in your saucepan, you add about a tablespoon of flour and mix together to make a paste. Then I simply add the chicken juices from the pan that I took the chicken out of. Heat it to boiling, then turn it to simmer and cook until it thickens. I use a small wisk with mine to break up the rue with the chicken juice. I make enough gravy for our meal that night.




To make allergy safe mashed potatoes I simply peel and dice the potatoes. Then boil like normal. However, when you drain them, do not drain off the water. I keep about 1/2 cup of the water in there. Then add the same butter I mentioned before.




Then I use my mixer to mix them together and fluff them up. They won't look right yet. You then need to take a spoon and mix them together, then they will look as creamy as normal mashed potatoes. These are also a little healthier since we don't add a whole lot to them. My whole family loves them.

Once dinner is over, I take the whole chicken and pull off the remaining meat and put them in a container for another night that week, or freeze it for later.




The chicken carcass and vegies and leftover gravy all go in one big pot along with about a gallon of water. I add no other flavoring. I bring it to a boil and then simmer it for about an hour or an hour and a half. Then I let it cool a little. From there I fill up containers and freeze for later! This is what I use to make rice, soup anything that I need chicken stock for!

My whole family has adjusted to eat what is safe for my youngest daughter and no one complains. This is a delicious, healthy meal that we all enjoy.

This links to Tasty Tuesdays and Ultimate Recipe Swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment