Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

This is my dad with my youngest when he was about 4 months old.

My dad is a man of few words. He is a lay low and take it all in kind of guy. He is very much a man of God. I don't know of anyone else who spends as much time with the word of God than my dad does. He is probably one of the smartest men I know, yet he didn't go to college. He simply has lived life and was never afraid to ask questions. He is absolutely the hardest working man I have ever known and my dad can fix any engine and knows about any home project there is. Growing up I thought my dad was hard to please, thinking there was no way I could live up to his expectations.

Now that I am an adult, I still look back and think my dad was hard. However, I look at it a bit differently. I appreciate it now because it has turned me into the hardworking and honest person I am today. While I do not posess his wisdom, I am smart enough to ponder his words of wisdom. Oh and for the record, my dad has turned into a big softy. You should see him with the grand kids. And who knew that as a 37 year old, you never get tired of your dad telling you how proud they are of you or that they love you.

I love talking with my dad. We will discuss all kinds of issues of today. Very recently we were discussing the high divorce rate and pondering all the reasons people will get divorced. That is when my dad made this very profound statement. He said "people don’t realize that the reason you love someone at 50 and 60 years of age isn’t the same reason that you love someone in your 20’s and 30’s."


And wow, that is so true.

Take us for instance. I met my husband in Junior Highschool. We "dated", witch was junior high speak for talking on the phone, but ignoring each other in public places, like school and dances. We of course broke up and both "dated" other people. Flash forward to us working at the local grocery store, me at 16, him at 17 (he had been there a lot longer). I was a cashier and he was a stocker/bagger/cart boy.

Oh but my heart would flutter when he was near me. He was so handsome and sweet. A "bad boy" on the outside but with a heart of gold. He was like a big ol’ teddy bear. Well, one day he asked for my phone number and when he called we talked for hours. The rest as they say, is history.

Twenty-one years later my heart still flutters for this man. The newness does wear off. But with it comes a comfort and acceptance of knowing someone so well.

Now my heart flutters seeing him with our kids. Snuggling on the couch with a child that needs a little extra attention. Letting them "help" out in the garage. Coaching them in sports. Or simply helping them with a math problem because it is too hard for mom!

My heart flutters seeing him work around the house. There is something about a man who is all hot and sweaty from manual labor.

My heard flutters when he does something so sweet and selfless. Like the many hours that he would just sit, listen and hold me as I cried about the loss of our babies. Or the physical pain I went through with all the problems and complications I had with my fourth, fifth and then our sixth and final pregnancy that produced our 4th addition to our broad of kids.

To some, they just see the gruff exterior. The 6 foot 4 inch stern guy who can be quite intimidating.

But to me, I see the guy, who even after 14 years of marriage makes my heart flutter.

And yes, my heart still flutters with those quiet, stolen kisses when the kids are all in bed and settled for the night .

And that my friend is what we will be celebrating this Father’s Day. I will be celebrating a dad full of wisdom and faith. And my kids will celebrate an awesome dad who still makes their mom’s heart flutter.

I heard someone say once that one of the best gifts a dad can give their children is to love their mom.

No, life is not all candy and roses. But in honor of my dad, the reason I love my husband today is different from why I loved him as a kid. It is much, much more.


Back off ladies, he's mine.

Happy Fathers day everyone.

(Updated: this post was written ahead of time and schedule for Sunday. So you all don't think I live an unrealistic life, when this was posted, I was not speaking to my hubby, we were arguing. I still love him and everyone argues. I have to remind our kids of that, that even though we argue, we still love each other. I could have chosen not to post this, since I was so angry. However I still meant every word of this post and felt the need to post it as it was.)

This post is linked to Gratituesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment