Thursday, January 21, 2010

What do you do when your back is killling you?

What do you do when your back is killing you? You bake.

I wrote here about being in the emergency room on New Years day. Needless to say, it didn't get any better, it only got worse.

By Monday it was awful, I couldn't do anything and would wake up with the horrible pain of what felt like sever charlie horses down my right leg.

I was at my chiropracters that morning. And I felt great when I left. But after a few hours I was right back to the constant pain in my right leg and if I moved it a certain way, the horrible charlie horse pain. So after work I went back to the chiro and they adjusted me again.

By Wednesday I was still in the same pain, so I went to my general practioner's office. I just love them there, they are so wonderful, the doctor and the nurse practioner are just perfect. So there I was given another shot of  steriods and pain meds. And was sent with an order for x-rays. However I had to get back to work so I thought I would go another day to get the xrays. However we got a bunch of snow, so that was pushed back to this coming Monday.

I left the doctors office with 3 new prescriptions. One for a steroid to help with inflamation. One was 800 mg ibuprofen to help with the pain and a muscle relaxer for at night. At this point I hadn't really slept in almost a week. I was staying up later and later because I knew I would wake up to a horrible charlie horse.

That day after work I went to the chiropractors office again and he was baffled as to why the adjustment was not staying. So this time he gave me a lift to put in my right shoe. He also gave me exercises to do at home. My hips have been off balance and it is the thought by both doctors that something was squeezing the nerve that ran down my right leg.

I don't know if it was the medicine, the exercises, the lift for my shoe, the shots or simply time that has eased the pain. But I do know I am feeling almost back to normal. It is only sore and stiff in the morning but as the day goes on I feel pretty normal.

So back to the baking. What did I bake you ask? I made pumpkin bread, honey wheat bread (2 loaves), zucchini brownies and taco soup. I know soup isn't a baking item, but it is something that allows me to stand up. Because sitting and laying down were too painful.

Here is the fruit of my labor:



Pumpkin bread




Honey Wheat bread




Zucchini Brownies




Taco Soup

So there you have it. That is what I do when my back is killing me and it hurts to lay down or sit. Iam very glad to be feeling mostly myself again. It is horrible to not be able to take care of your family.

I have been told that it could come back at any time. I hope not too soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment