Sunday, February 21, 2010

Allergy Free Homemade Cinnamon Rolls


My kids love cinnamon rolls. Especially homemade cinnamon rolls. I used to make them with eggs, when it was just the two girls and before we found out my third daughter had a food allergy to eggs.

I have since come up with a recipe that includes soy or rice milk, soy flour and dairy free butter. However they take quite a while to make. And while they are totally worth it when you take a bite, I don't have 2 1/2 hours in the morning to make them. So I have figured out a few short cuts.

First of all, I am making some right now for tomorrow morning. We have 2 girls staying the night tonight. They love my cinnamon rolls and request them every time. So what I do is I make them tonight all the way up to cutting them and putting them on the pan. But then I put them in the refrigerator.

Then in the morning, I pull the pan out and let it rise the last 45 minutes while I am getting everything else ready and wait for the oven to heat up.

In a pinch, on a morning when I have forgotten to make the dough, I have used my pizza dough recipe in place of the sweet dough. It worked and the kids ate it. But they did ask why they tasted different.

So, here is my recipe, which is peanut, treenut, dairy and egg free:

1 cup soy or rice milk
1/2 cup margerine ( I use Fleischman's Unsalted)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons yeast
3 1/2 - 5 cups flour
1 tablespoon soy flour and 1 tablespoon water (this is the egg substitute)

The filling is
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margerine (Fleischman's unsalted) softened
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Heat the milk in the microwave (about 2 minutes) then add the butter so that it melts. In a large bowl combine sugar, salt, yeast, 1 cup flour and the butter/milk mixture. Mix in the egg and 2 1/2 cups flour. You may need to adjust if your dough is too moist. Kneed on a floured surface for 10 minutes. Cover and let rise for one hour.

Punch down the dough and let rise for 15 more minutes.



Roll dough out flat, try for a rectangle. Spread the room temperature margerine on the dough and sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up into a log.



Cut into 1 inch slices and place on a pan. Cover and let rise another 45 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. When cooled glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar and enough soy/rice milk to make desired thickness. I start with 1 tablespoon and work then add more if I need it.

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday, Ultimate Recipe Swap and the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment