Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Grocery Store

Please allow me a few minutes to vent. I came home the other night from the grocery store and was not a happy camper. No it was not from my 4 kids that I took with me, it was from the rude, fellow adult grocery shoppers.

Normally I go during the day, it really avoids the crowds and if I go in the morning I have only a baby with me. Or if I go after preschool, I have a baby and a 4 year old. When the 4 year old is there with the baby, she takes her big sister roll very seriously. She becomes a wonderful helper.

On this particular day, I had been at school helping out with the holiday parties. My 4th grader had a holiday lunch that I brought food in for. My 2nd grader also had a holiday party, and I brought stuff in for that as well. I had the two younger kids with me also, just to add to the fun.

After the parties, the girls chose to stay and watch a movie with the class. That allowed me just enough to take the younger two and run to my moms to pick up something.

So after they got off the bus, I loaded them all up in the car and headed to the local grocery store. We got there around 4:15 or so. I pushed the 9 month old in the cart and the older three walked.

I am always mindful of keeping to one side in the aisles so that other people can pass. And I make sure the kids stay right with me, they aren't running around all crazy or anything. They are very well behaved in the grocery store.

So, yes, we got there around when people were getting off of work. Not to mention that around here, when people hear the word snow in the forecast, they have to stock up on everything like they are going to be snowed in for weeks. I needed milk as we had only a half gallon, which isn't even enough for a meal for us. And it was supposed to snow the next day, so I did stock up on a few other things. I also let the kids pick out some special snacks since they are off for the next two weeks from school.

Can I just say, wow? The rudeness of the adults that had stopped by after work was very abundent. They were impatient, and rude to the point of huffing and puffing as I got my items off the shelf. I was simply picking out my items, in a very timely manner, they could easily go around me. But heaven for bid I needed the same item they did, then I was in their way.

Even though I was simply shopping like they were, I found myself apologizing to everybody, constantly saying excuse me and I am sorry. Why was I apologizing? Their rudeness made me feel so uncomfortable. There was one particular man, who happened to be turning the corner at the same time as me, coming from different directions. He was so upset with me, for no reason.

Yes, I have four kids, yes we take up more space, but come on. Four kids isn't alot of kids, it isn't like we have 20 or something. Just four, and they behave very well.

The only thing I can think of is it was Friday, snow was coming and people were just tired and ready to be home. That is no excuse to be rude.

The only silver lining was this sweet old lady, who was stanind in front of the cherries. She was waiting very patiently for someone tall to walk by so  they could help her get the very last container of green cherries, on the top shelf, in the very back! Well, I fit the bill, being very tall. So she very kindly asked me if I would get it for her. She thanked me over and over. Even complimenting me on the sweetness of the baby and how well behaved my kids were.

The moral of this store is this: don't go to the store at rush hour, when there is snow in the forecast, with all four of your kids. Because I gaurantee had I gone back at that same time, even without the snow, people would be rude.

I will go back to going during the day, when there are other moms with their kids. Moms who understand that you are trying to organize your coupons, keep your baby from eating your list and making sure you keep an eye on your kids to keep them safe!

Thanks for allowing me to complain for just a few minutes.

Anyone else have any stories of rudeness at stores. Or any funny stories about having a large family?

No comments:

Post a Comment