Sunday, October 25, 2009

Edible Playdough

Two Saturday's ago, it was too cold for me to go to my oldest daughters soccer game, because my 7 month old son had an ear infection and I didn't want him out in the damp weather. Since my husband is the assistant coach, he had to go. So I was home with my 3 youngest and decided since we couldn't play outside, that we would do something inside. So I made edible playdough.

I have seen this recipe made with non-fat dry milk and peanut butter, both of which my youngest daughter cannot have. So this is the recipe that I came up with.

Mix equal parts Sun Butter, honey and powdered sugar. The sun butter I get at a local store, but you can find it here, it is butter made from sunflower seeds and is similar to peanut butter in texture and is sweeter than soy butter, so I use it in all my recipes that would call for peanut butter. It turned out a little softer than I thought it should, maybe since the sun butter is a little more liquid than peanut butter, so next time I might add a little more powdered sugar. I used one cup of each and simply mixed together.



They used cookie cutters and utensils to "cook" with it, while nibbling on it of course.




Here is my second oldest working on her "dough" for baking.




This was labeled a keeper by my two youngest daughters. I was even able to store it in a container and pull it out later in the day for them to play with again.



Eventually sprinkles ended up in it and I decided to call it quits on the edible play dough. They don't need to eat that much sugar! But I will definately make it again.

This links to Tasty Tuesday and Ultimate Recipe Swap.

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea that I will try with my grandchildren. My grandson has peanut/tree nut allergies as well. I hope he will outgrow his, but not so far. I would love for you to join in Crock Pot Wednesdays at Dining With Debbie. Come share a favorite and leave with some new ones. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FUN!!! and what a GREAT!!! idea.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. we used to make this when I was growing up! Love that you can make it with sun butter, since I have a nut allergy too :)

    ReplyDelete