Saturday, January 8, 2011

Homemade Fried Chicken


My oldest daughter has been asking for fried chicken. I didn't have any chicken that was on the bone, so I decided to cut up some boneless, skinless chicken that I had in the freezer.

I cut it into chicken plank sizes. Dipped them into a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Made sure it was nicely coated. Then I dropped it into my cast iron skillet that had about an inch of canola oil boiling in it.

I cooked it on one side then flipped, as the chicken wasn't entirely submerged in the oil. It took about 10 minutes total to cook the chicken.

See the golden color? Oh my goodness but it was good! There was not a speck left, even the 21 month old loved it! He ate 4 helpings!

With this I also made homemade hash browns. Wish I took a photo, but as soon as they were finished the kids were starving, so I plated the food and we then ate! I had 3 leftover baked potatoes. For those that don't know when you make hash browns from scratch, don't use raw potatoes, they do not work. Using leftover baked potatoes tastes wonderful, is super easy and reduces waste!

I simply shredded my leftover baked potatoes, skin and all. Then I took a skillet and heated up a little bacon grease that I had leftover, a teaspoon of vegan butter(food allergies) and a tablespoon of olive oil. Funny thing about bacon grease, I used to just throw it away. But honestly if you are trying to eat a healthy, from scratch, whole diet, it is definitely something to try. And man, does it add some wonderful flavor. I used about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.

I had the skillet on high and after all the fats melted together, I added the shredded potatoes. You want to let them cook for a while without turning them, you are wanting a nice crispy bottom before you turn it. I flipped my potatoes a few times and broke them up a little with my spatula each time I flipped.

There were not leftovers of any kind. We had fried chicken, hash brown potatoes, broccoli and a salad. There was nothing left. This is definitely one to add to my list of dinners my family likes.

There is nothing that makes me happier than cooking for my family and have them enjoy it.

This post is linked to Finer Things Friday and Tasty Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment