Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Recipe of the Week-Gumbo


As I said before, I am trying a new recipe every week. This weeks recipe was for homemade Gumbo. I thought it would be a very hearty dinner one night, combining meat with veggies.

Turns out the gumbo I made was pretty expensive. I used about 10 chicken legs and a pack of smoked sausage. I am sure you could use leftover chicken, but in a family of 6 we don't have meet left over very often.

Here is the recipe I used, I found on on the web and like usual, tweaked it to suit our tastes.

10 chicken legs
salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 pound of smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup flour
5 tablespoons margerine
1 large onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celergy chopped
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 cups water
5 beef boillon cubes
1 can diced tomatoes

Cook the chicken with the oil. When that is finished, remove and cook the sausage. Remove when finished. Add 3 tablespoons of the butter and the veggies and saute them until soft. Add the rest of the margerine and the flour and stir all together, this will thicken it. You get kind of a big glop of veggies. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir, stir, stir to loosen up the glop! Add the meat back in and simmer on low for about 2 hours.

This was pretty good but the taste of Worcestershire sauce was very overpowering. I love that stuff, but it didn't seem right. So while we ate it, I would not make it again.

This is linked to Tasty Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment