Monday, March 15, 2010

Reducing Paper Towel Use

I think that just about everyone that I know uses paper towels.

You spill something? Need a napkin? and impromptu plate? We all grab paper towels.

And I don't know about you, but I go through alot! Because not only do I use my towels for those items, but I also use them to make homemade wipes.

And has anyone priced paper towels lately? I mean, jeesh! they are really going up in price. Of course now they have double rolls, super double rolls, 4 packs, 6 packs, 8 packs and even 12-15 packs!

I remember the good old days when all you had to choose from was either a single or multi-pack. And plain white or a cute little kitchen type design on it. I miss those days, really I do.

Because it just confuses me. When they came in 8 packs, I would look for them to go on sale for $5.99 a pack, then I knew to stock up, now it is rare that you find a sale like that. Although Kroger did have such a sale recently.

Add to this the guilt I feel for using so many towels. I mean, we all know where paper towels come from right? Trees. And I love trees. I hate the thought of being so wasteful.

So, all that being said, I am going to try and reduce my use of paper towels. I have slowly been stocking up on cloth towels and rags for this purpose. I will let you know how it goes.

This post is linked to Tackle It Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. You know I was thinking about that today. I remember growing up mom always had old rags and towels in the kitchen to wipe with. I use a burp cloth when feeding Henry and wet it with warm water to wipe him clean after eating.

    I have a stack of cloth diapers, you know the muslim-y kind, thin 2 ply ones from Henry's more vomit-y days which would make excellent kitchen and household rags.

    Great Idea lady, keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been something on my mind lately as well. It seems that when we have paper towels in the house, we fly through them......crazy style! So I stopped buying them. Instead I look for really cheap cloth napkins.......and am slowly stocking up on a random variety of prints and colors. I think that the all cotton ones work best for soaking up spills though. Sometimes I can find them for as cheap as 50 cents apiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! We stopped using paper towels some time ago, but then one day I snagged a 12-roll pack for $5.49! I think we'll miss them when they're gone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right - there are too many options for everything out there. Before the consumer even gets used to 1 option, they are changing things. Sheesh, I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean, thank you. I tried to click on your name to go to your blog, or your information but it doesn't show anything. Thanks, I have been thinking of not doing it anymore, lack of time really. We will see.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete