Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Getting Things Done

I have had many of my friends make comments or question how I get everything done. Well, first of all, I will let you in on a secret, I don't.

First of all, my house is only super clean when we have guests. I mop my kitchen once a week, almost always have a pile of laundry to clean and sometimes my bathrooms go longer than they should between cleanings.

But there is one thing that I have managed to figure out over the years, multi-task and when I say multi-task, I mean I rarely sit down. I remember when I was growing up, my mom would fall asleep sitting up in a chair. I could never figure out how she could do that. Until I had kids and now I know. My super secret weapon is that I avoid sitting down until it is time for bed, unless I am eating a meal.

I am rarely doing just one thing at a time, except when dealing with the kids. I try to have my mind on my task when I am with my kids. Doesn't always work out that way, but I do try.

Here was my day today, this is a typical work day and a night when we have no sports or activities:

4:45 a.m.--woken by 13 month old (he is teething)

6:00 a.m.--lay back down after baby goes back to sleep because I was tired from being at an amusement park all day the previous day, normally I would just stay up

6:30 a.m.--alarm goes off for work (between now and when I leave for work, I shower and dress for work, get the baby up and started on breakfast, make sure school bags are packed, my breakfast and/or lunch is packed, if the girls are packing, I pack their lunches, get them their snack, depending on my time and how tired I am I might make coffee, then kisses all around and out the door)

7:30 a.m.--leave for work

5:00 p.m.--home from work, hugged everyone and asked about their day

5:15 p.m.--up to change into my comfy clothes(we have no where to go tonight, yay!)

5:20 p.m.--put hamburger in microwave to thaw since I forgot to get it out yesterday and start helping and checking homework

5:30-7:00 p.m.--put together new recipe of 7 layer casserol and get it into oven since it has to bake for 1 and a half hours. I also immediately start to brown the other 2 pounds of ground beef with onion. While this is browning I play with baby and keep checking on it. When that is done and cooled, I bag it for another meal later on this week and to freeze again. I also get started on the homemade Chex mix so that it is ready to go in the oven as soon as the casserole is finished.

During this time, my husband comes home and we chat for a few minutes. I talk to my kids about school and look over their papers and graded tests. My thirteen month old is very tired today so I feed him early and lay him in bed to for the night. My husband tells me he got called back into work and leaves. I finish dinner, call the kids to set the table and get drinks
7:00--we eat dinner (late for us, oh well it works out that way sometimes)

7:30--finish dinner and get started on chewy granola bars for morning, I will share the recipe soon

8:00--the kids are hungry again and grab a snack of chex mix, I finish cleaning up the kitchen put the granola bars in the fridge to harden

8:30--kids are in bed for the night, everyone is tired from yesterday at the amusement park, including me. I get started working on my blog.

I am off tomorrow, if it was a night before I worked, I would pack the diaper bag, do any ironing for my husband and myself, get my work bag and clothes ready for the morning.

Sometime around 9:30 I will go up to bed to read and depening on how tired I am I will go to bed anywhere between then and 11:30.

Right now I only watch one show on tv, Bones on Thursday nights at 8:00, which I have to DVR and watch later on that night.

So there you have it, that is my typical work day. I will eventually post about my non work days. I currently work a rotating schedule of 2 days one week and 3 the next. I love my 2 day weeks, I am not going to lie to you.

I am very thankful that I became someone that knows how to multitask and use my time wisely. Otherwise I could never get anything done!

This post is linked to Gratituesday.

2 comments:

  1. Staying on ones feet does make a difference. I can get so tired if I sit down. Have a great day and keep on multitasking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't know how you fit it in!!

    ReplyDelete