Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars


I love granola bars, so do my kids. But unfortunately most contain eggs, dairy or peanuts, which means that I won't can't buy them. So I have tried many over the last few years and one ever turned out very well.

Until now.

I stumbled upon the base recipe here, if you are not family with this website, Laura has awesome recipes. I almost always have to alter mine due to food allergies, but she has some fabulous recipes that I use as my base.

Here is the recipe that I came up with based on what we like here.

1/2 cup sunbutter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup rice cereal
1 cup oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flakes
chocolate chips sprinkled on top

Melt the sunbutter, honey and coconut oil on the stove top in a pan. Once it is all melted together, add the vanilla, mix together with the oats and rice cereal. Let it cool a little bit, then add the coconut.

Flatten into a pan lined with wax paper and put in fridge for about an hour or so until it hardens. This makes roughly 8 bars. Or seven if you are like me and have to do a taste test right when you cut them up!

These are delicious and so good for you. I sprinkle the cocolate chips on, that way you don't use as much.

This recipe is linked to Ultimate Recipe Swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment